I read somewhere that it was on page ten. And Judith Miller still has a job? Wtf?
Gunmen opened fire Saturday on three complexes used largely by Americans and other foreigners in Saudi Arabia’s Eastern Province and seized a large group of hostages, bringing the terrorist attacks that have plagued the country for the past year into the heart of its oil-producing region.
The official Saudi Press Agency quoted Crown Prince Abdullah, the country’s de facto leader, as saying that 10 Saudis and expatriates had been killed. But sporadic gunfire continued into the night in Khobar, the town on the Persian Gulf where the attacks occurred, and the reports remained confused.
The death toll could climb higher, officials from Western embassies and local reporters said.
The gunmen took some hostages at the Oasis Residential Resorts compound in Khobar, a luxury complex of 220 to 250 villas and apartments that is home to many senior Western company executives, including those from Shell, Honeywell and General Electric. About 15 hours after the attack began, the reports varied on the number of people who might still be held. Some said the gunmen were holding 15 people hostage, but other reports, quoting a manager at the Oasis, said they were holding as many as 50.
WASHINGTON – Pat Tillman, the former Arizona Cardinals football player who died in April while a U.S. soldier fighting in Afghanistan, likely was killed by friendly fire, an Army investigation has concluded.
News of that finding was disseminated Friday to some members of Congress and some Tillman family members just as the Memorial Day weekend was to begin, including today’s dedication ceremonies in Washington of the World War II Memorial.
“It does seem pretty clear that he was killed by friendly fire,” said Rep. Trent Franks, R-Ariz., a member of the House Armed Services Committee, which was alerted to the information by the Army’s Legislative Liaison Office.
Just another Disposable Hero in the war without end.
Earlier this week Attorney General John Ashcroft warned of an attack planned on America for sometime in the coming months. That may happen, but NBC News has learned one of Ashcroft’s sources is highly suspect.
In warning Americans to brace for a possible attack, Ashcroft cited what he called “credible intelligence from multiple sources,” saying that “just after New Year’s, al-Qaida announced openly that preparations for an attack on the United States were 70 percent complete.… After the March 11 attack in Madrid, Spain, an al-Qaida spokesman announced that 90 percent of the arrangements for an attack in the United States were complete.”
But terrorism experts tell NBC News there’s no evidence a credible al-Qaida spokesman ever said that, and the claims actually were made by a largely discredited group, Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades, known for putting propaganda on the Internet. [more]
Wasn’t there an article in the Capitol Hill Times a year or so ago which has someone in the admin basically admitting that the terror alerts were for political reasons only? I.e. to instill fear and keep people crouched under the protective arms of Mister Can’t-Eat-A-Pretzel-Nor-Ride-A-Bike? Are there any doubts this kinda crap will proliferate all the way up to the next election?